Sunday, June 9, 2013

Cindi - Sadness and Joy

This month a writing friend of mine passed away. Though she'd been battling breast cancer, it still came as a bit of a shock. Cindi was a strong person and had such a positive attitude regarding life despite all she'd been through. If anyone would win the fight, I was certain it would be her. I still can't believe she's gone.I will miss all the long chats, the sharing of poetry, the mutual encouragement; the friendship.

For a week now I've been trying to write a poem for her but the words don't come. Or a few come and the rest get caught in tears. Or words come but they're just not good enough.

I've decided that if I can't manage to write a tribute poem to post here, I will provide a link to her words. I wanted to link to my favorite poem of hers, one about travelling on the bus, but I guess she hadn't shared it publicly. I did, however, find a link to one of her older poems: A Breast Cancer Poem by Cindi Silva.

To read it, CLICK HERE.

If Cindi were here, she'd remind all women to get mammograms. The other thing she'd say (as she always did) is go out and spread joy.

So I've made a list of things you might do today.

* bake someone a cake, just because
* try to give at least 5 people compliments (but sincere ones, please)
* give someone flowers
* help someone in need
* smile :-)  You usually get a smile in return.
* donate used books, puzzles, etc. to a senior citizen's center, day care, etc.
* tell a good joke. After all, everyone enjoys a good laugh.
* be the best person you can be today...and then do it again tomorrow

Now, go on. Get to it! Go out and spread some joy.

**************

Have you spread joy lately? If so, share it in the comments section.

1 comment:

Laurie Kolp said...

Thanks for the reminder, Linda. I am actually going for my year check-up on Friday and the mamogram will be scheduled then. I'm so sorry about your friend.