Thursday, April 7, 2011

Win a Prize in the Education Challenge

Today's post for the A to Z challenge must relate to the letter E in some way. As a teacher, my first thought turned to education. Going to school is something we must all do, and a proper education can help us in many aspects of our lives.

How would you define education? One dictionary lists the meaning of education as "the act or process of acquiring knowledge, especially systematically during childhood and adolescence." That's one way of saying it, but I am not looking for a straight forward definition. I want something more creative, something that could be listed in the Devil's Dictionary. If you are not aware what that is, then please read yesterday's post here.

Ambrose Bierce used this definition:

Education, n.: That which discloses to the wise and disguises from the foolish their lack of understanding.

Can you do better than that? I challenge you. Write something to make me smile. Write something to make me laugh. Better yet, knock my socks off! And if you do, you could win a prize.
 
Here is how it works:
 
1) Write a funny definition of education. It must be your own work.
2) If you are not already signed up as a follower of this blog, sign up. Then post your definition in the comments section.
3) Step three...nothing. It's that easy!
 
If I pick your definition as my favorite, I will send you a surprise. Please post your definitions by midnight April 11. I will announce the winner by midnight April 13.
 
Good luck!

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Education, A journey towards understanding that which you would otherwise misunderstand :) I love a good challenge and your blog looks like a journey worth understanding...Off to snoop and perhaps learn a thing or two in the process.

Arlee Bird said...

I just became the 13th follower--hope that's lucky! So happy you've joined the Challenge and hope it provides you with a good blogging education.

For me at my age education is something that I've relearned that I probably used to know and will probably forget tomorrow. Sad but true. I guess it's partly information overload.

Have fun with the Challenge!


Contrary to my usual practice of subscribing to comments, to save time during this early part of the challenge I will not be doing so at this time. If you want to respond to my comment, please email me directly from your email notification for the comment.
Thanks. And I truly appreciate your efforts.

Lee
Tossing It Out
Twitter hashtag: #atozchallenge

Education Job Descriptions said...

Having lot of fun by reading this post.
I am ready for education challenge.

Matt Conlon said...

Education is ironically, what adults were inflicting upon me before I'd learned enough to recognize it. It is the nourishment of the soul that I thought I didn't want, only noticing the craving when it was too expensive, and out of reach.


Matt Conlon dot com
Matt's Brew Log

Sylvia Ney said...

What a great contest! I'll have to think about this one. I hope you are enjoying the "A to Z" challenge.

Debra Gray-Elliott said...

Hi Linda,
following you here too!

Ed-u-ca-tion: Twelve years of you vacation....

Linda H. said...

These are all great so far! Thanks for participating, everyone.

barbara said...

Education is what you realize you've gotten, after you've learned your lesson.

nutschell said...

Hi linda!
New follower here. Thanks for visiting my blog and following as well. :P
This is a great contest. Here's my definition:

Education is what we get when we don't go to school.

Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Linda H. said...

Hey, everyone! I've taken part in blog contests before (and even won once) but I had no idea how much fun it is to host on. I am enjoying reading all your responses.

Unknown said...

Education is the loss of ignorance or the gaining of inexperience.

Linda H. said...

Well, that is certainly true sometimes, EJ.

OK...we've got about 7 people playing to win. Can we do better than that? Tell your friends. The winner gets a nice surprise from the German lady (me). :-)

Laurie Kolp said...

Education (edj-u-ma-cay-shun):

1. That's them birds and those bees, y'all.

2. The ability to learn from your mistakes, and then laugh about them later; education, that is.

~laurie

Linda H. said...

HAHA...good one, LK. A bit of Southern flair in that one? Maybe if you were from New Orleans you could say edj-u-canjun.