Friday, April 15, 2011

How about these?

I am a bit behind on my posts for the A to Z Blogging Challenge so I will make this brief in hopes of getting to M and N. Today's post for L is literature. Specifically, children's literature. Here are a few recommendations. Whether you've heard of them or not, you might want to check them out.

Happy reading!




I Wish That I Had Duck Feet by Dr. Seuss.
A little boy wishes he had different animals parts and explains the wonderful ways he would use them. But each one has a problem, so in the end he decides he is happy being himself. . A silly and insightful tale told in classic Dr. Seuss rhyme.




The Baby's Animal Party by Katharine Ross, illustrated by Lisa McCue
This was our absolute favorite. My daughter wanted me to read it to her over and over again, and when she was older she would read it herself. The pictures, illustrated my Lisa McCue are delightful, full of color and oh so cute. In the story a new baby animal is born and the other animals (field mice, raccoons, skunk, bunny, bear, etc.) gather gifts to take to the baby. They bring berries, nuts, fish, even laughter. It isn't until the end that you learn who the new baby animal is.

One Hungry Monster by Susan Heyboer O'Keefe
It begins with one hungry monster underneath the bed, moaning and groaning and begging to be fed. Then two and three and so on. They search the house for food and make mischief —chewing on shoes, swinging from the chandeliers, spitting out sticky watermelon seeds, braiding wigs out of spaghetti.. This was one of our favorites when my daughter was a child. The story is creative, funny, and exciting, and the illustrations make it even better.


Moosetache by Margie Palatini.
Good hair days, bad hair days. That's what this moose has with his moustache. And it is always in his way, making him trip, obscuring his face. What a nuisance! “He simply could not flambe his souffle with all of those whiskers in the way." To be honest, my daughter didn't get a lot of the play on words but loved it just the same. It's a bit of a tongue-twister to read at times, but that's part of the fun.


The Tenth Good Thing about Barney by Judith Voirst
No, not the big purple dinosaur. Barney was a cat. When he dies his family plans to have a funeral for him and remember all the good things about him. The little boy can think of nine things but not a tenth...and then, the day of the funeral, the tenth thing becomes clear. This is a great tale for anyone who has ever loved and lost a pet. The other is we is well-known for writing Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. This book, though lesser known, is just as good.




It's Raining Pigs and Noodles by Jack Prelutsky


This book features over 100 silly rhyming poems which include Grungy Grace (a girl who refuses to brush her teeth), hippos that dance ballet, a pilot who is afraid of flying and, as the title suggests, rain that comes down as pigs, noodles, and various odd things. Other titles include Never Poke your Uncle with a Fork, Sniffing Snutterwudds, I Chased a Dragon through the Woods, and more. You don't need to be a lover of poetry to enjoy this book. There's a bit of something for everyone.

Unicorns! Unicorns! by Geraldine McCaughrean

This is a great Noah's Ark tale with a twist. When Noah calls for all the animals, the unicorns are no where to be found. Are they dilly-dallying? No. Instead they are busy with tasks such as saving a deer stuck in the mud or drying a butterfly's waterlogged wings. Everyone reaches the ark in time except the unicorns. They are left behind, but their kindness is not left unnoticed and they are rewarded in an unusual way.

4 comments:

Laurie Kolp said...

I love children's lit... thanks for the awesome reviews, Linda!

~laurie

Linda H. said...

Next time I'll do middle readers or adult books. Maybe even chapbooks.

Anonymous said...

I Wish That I Had Duck Feet was my favorite childhood book. I would dream of what it would be like to have all those crazy things hanging off me. I especially loved the antlers. I have a large collection of Dr. Seuss books today. They hold wonderful memories for me.
Found your blog via the A-Z challenge. Following You! Come on over and say "hi".
Blue Velvet Vincent

Linda H. said...

Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Beverly. You might be surprised how many people I know who have never read I Wish that I Had Duck Feet. I think it is one of Seuss's best, but somehow it is lesser known.