Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Letter P and the Big Ten

Can you count to ten? I betcha can.

Do you know what syllables are (or should I say sil-la-bulls?)? I remember in grade school having to clap out the syllables of our names. It's so easy that kindergarten children do it.

Now let's combine the two-- can you count syllables and lines? Well, of course you can. And that's what you need to do for the latest challenge posted at Poetic Asides. Well, that and write a poem. It needs to be 10 lines long and each lines must consist of 10 syllables. Other than that, there are no other rules. How cool is that? If your poem is picked as the winner, it will be featured in Writer's Digest. The deadline is April 29. For further details, click here.

That's my P word for today. Poetry. April is National Poetry Month. So read a poem or write a poem. Submit or subscribe to a literary journal. Share some silly poetry with a child. With that in mind, I offer you this—the earliest poem I remember from childhood. I thought it was so funny.

The Purple Cow by Gelett Burgess

I NEVER saw a Purple Cow;    
I never hope to See One; 
But I can Tell you, Anyhow,    
I'd rather See than Be One.


Well, ain't that the truth.

That's all for today. Short and sweet. The Easter vacation begins today and the weather is beautiful.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Those dreams...

When I was a child I had no dreams
Didn’t need them so it seems
Nothing left unsaid, nothing left undone
All I did was play and have a lot of fun
So the years went by, hard as I tried
The woman grew the little girl died
The dreams came then, at first I cried
A monster chased me and I could not run
I drowned in dark waters without a sun
Shot by the devil without a gun
I started to fly at twenty five
These dreams kept me alive
Floating through the air, a bird without wings
Each day awaking with different things
Things that keep you thinking, living each day
Without the dreams there is nothing to say…

Unknown said...

kill the WV...pleae! My eyes are tired, and I not a robot :)

nutschell said...

I love the poem! IT definitely made me giggle a litte. (Quite inappropriate for the office. )
nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Laurie Kolp said...

That's one of my favorites. I love your blog, Linda.

~laurie

Linda H. said...

Glad it made you laugh, nutshell. Laughter is healthy.

Thank you, Laurie. You are too kind.

Siv, I will try. To be honest, I didn't know I had WV and must figure out how to kill it. I apologize to your poor, pretty eyes :-)

Patricia JL said...

Very cute little poem. I wouldn't mind seeing a purple cow, might be interesting.
http://plbjourney.blogspot.com/

Linda H. said...

Patricia, I HAVE seen a purple cow...on an advertisement. In Germany, Milka chocolate has a purple and white cow as its mascot. Every time I see it, it reminds me of this silly rhyme.