Wednesday, April 13, 2011

K is for...

Today's letter for the A to Z Blogging Challenge is K, and though I hate to disappoint a few of you, there will be no silliness today. Today is serious business. Today we will explore form poetry. What type of poem starts with K? The kyrielle.

The kyrielle is written in quatrains (four-lined stanzas), each line having only 8 syllables, and using a refrain. There are a number of possible rhyme schemes for the kyrielle. To see one rhyme scheme and an example at Poetic Asides, click here.

About three years ago, I needed to write a kyrielle for a poetry challenge. At that time, I was using Germany as a broad topic for all my writing, and this is what I came up with. The title, Waisenkinder Kyrielle, translates as The Orphans' Kyrielle.


Waisenkinder Kyrielle

Ever since he made his debut
his following steadily grew,
and though we don't mean to complain--
we other orphans wait in vain.

We need love and attention, too,
and we respectfully maintain:
while you spend time at the zoo,
we other orphans wait in vain.

What are we lonesome souls to do?
Without white fur we slip from view.
Your priorities are askew.
We other orphans wait in vain.

We adore Knut just like you
but find it somewhat inhumane
a bear captures people's hearts while
we other orphans wait in vain.


Not too long ago, Knut died suddenly. He is, no doubt, in polar bear heaven, playing with his daddy. Poor, Knut. But there are many orphans still out there, living each day, waiting and wondering if they will ever have a mom or dad, brothers or sisters, or an extended family to call their own. Though I admit I haven't adopted any, I do have several friends who are either adopted or have adopted children and they are all just as loveable as Knut.

Each year my daughter participates in a program through one of the children's television networks. She, and other kids across Germany, donate their old toys. These items are then sold, and the money is used to buy gifts for orphans and poor children. It gives her a sense of purpose and helps to clear out some of the mess in her room.

What do you do to help others?
 

5 comments:

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Loved your poem. My daughter's softball team is having a fundrasier for Breast Cancer Research at the moment. We've sold lots of teeshirts and bracelets.
We're also as a school having a fundraiser for a small village in Japan right on the edge of the devastation. One of our teacher's family lives there.

Debra Gray-Elliott said...

Wow! I just learned something new. Great write!

Joyce Johnson said...

I didn't know about the Kyrielle. I read it aloud and it flowed. Thanks for visiting my blog.

Kendal said...

Great post!

I'd never heard of the kyrielle form before. I think it's interesting how writing a poem in a strict form can shape what the poem will become. I know it's a set of rules, but for some reason it feels freeing to have those expectations for a poem to work into. I liked your poem, it worked well with the form.

Linda H. said...

Thanks, everyone.
And thanks for commenting on what you do to help people. Reading these reminds me that no matter what one sees on the news or reads in the paper, there are still plenty of good people in the world.